Rio de Janeiro gives up on planned new F1 circuit

HAMAD I MOHAMMED / POOL / AFP

Rio de Janeiro's new mayor has scrapped previous plans, criticised by seven times world champion Lewis Hamilton and environmentalists, to build a new Formula One circuit in the city.

Rio's Environment Secretary Eduardo Cavaliere said on Twitter on Monday that Mayor Eduardo Paes, who took office last month, had instructed him to archive the process to secure an environmental licence.

"We are officially giving up on the construction of Rio International Circuit in the Camboata forest area," he said.

Mercedes driver Hamilton had last year criticised the attempt to build a new circuit, saying he would be against cutting down forest.

Sao Paulo's Interlagos circuit subsequently agreed to a deal to keep the Brazilian Grand Prix on the Formula One calendar until 2025.

Last year's race was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Rio’s old Jacarepagua F1 circuit was demolished to make way for facilities for the 2016 Olympics.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro had backed a privately-built new track. 

More from Sports

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • Motor Mania

    10:00am - Noon

  • The Best of Dubai Eye 103.8

    Noon - 4:00pm

    Hear the highlights from the week gone by on Dubai Eye 103.8. Listen again to the best interviews, advice and the top stories that has gripped our conversation this week.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Is There Sufficient House Supply In UAE

    Dubai’s current population is more than double compared to almost twenty years ago, which now stands at 3.7 million. Lots of families are also moving to the UAE now. So what does it mean for the property market?

  • Noon's First Female Delivery Driver

    Glory Ehirim Nkiruka is Noon’s first ever female delivery driver. In her first ever interview, she explained why she loves her job, despite the heat!