Engine staff urge Renault to rethink F1 'betrayal'

AFP

Staff at Renault's Formula One engine facility near Paris have urged the carmaker to rethink a plan to scrap power unit production, saying it would be a betrayal of 50 years of motorsport history.

The Viry-Chatillon plant, with 334 employees, makes the engines used by Renault's British-based Alpine team and has been designing a power unit for 2026, when the sport undergoes a regulation overhaul.

A statement issued by the Social and Economic Council of employees at Viry accused Renault management of wanting to halt the site's F1 activities and buy in Mercedes engines to reduce direct costs from $120 million to $17 million.

It said a decision was due to be taken on Sept. 30.

Renault have not commented on the reports but Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said last month he expected Alpine to "take a decision soon on whether they want to continue with their Formula One engine programme or not".

Renault's current engine is less powerful than those of rivals and the team, former world champions, are eighth of 10 in the standings and have had repeated changes of leadership.

The Viry employees' statement, issued during the Dutch Grand Prix, recalled that Alpine founder Jean Redele believed in French innovation and expertise to compete at the pinnacle of motorsport.

"To see Alpine F1 team turn to a foreign engine today would be a betrayal of this vision, marking a disgraceful abandonment of the team's legacy and 50 years of high-tech history and expertise," it added.

"We fail to understand what justifies dismantling the elite entity that is the Viry-Chatillon factory and betraying its legacy and DNA by implanting a Mercedes heart into our Alpine F1.

"The announcement of the end of the development and production of French power units for Formula One is a nonsense.

"We cannot accept that Alpine and the Renault Group tarnish their images, which is why we urge (Renault chief executive Luca) de Meo and his board of directors to reverse this decision."

Flavio Briatore, appointed in June as F1 adviser to De Meo, told reporters on Saturday that he had no idea about the engine decision.

"This is the decision of the chairman of the Renault Group, we read in the newspaper like you guys," he said when asked about the possible shutdown. "And I have nothing to say about that."

The Italian pointed out, however, that McLaren used Mercedes engines and were winning races. The team are second in both championships behind Red Bull and ahead of their engine provider's works team.

More from Sports

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • Motor Mania

    10:00am - Noon

  • The Best of Dubai Eye 103.8

    Noon - 4:00pm

    Hear the highlights from the week gone by on Dubai Eye 103.8. Listen again to the best interviews, advice and the top stories that has gripped our conversation this week.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Is There Sufficient House Supply In UAE

    Dubai’s current population is more than double compared to almost twenty years ago, which now stands at 3.7 million. Lots of families are also moving to the UAE now. So what does it mean for the property market?

  • Noon's First Female Delivery Driver

    Glory Ehirim Nkiruka is Noon’s first ever female delivery driver. In her first ever interview, she explained why she loves her job, despite the heat!