Kyrgios promises to be on 'best behaviour' after suspension

STR / AFP

Nick Kyrgios on Friday insisted he'll be on his "best behaviour" for the next six months after receiving a suspended fine and 16-week ban from the ATP.

Taking to Instagram, Kyrgios told his fans to relax. "Everyone, I can still play, I'm just on probation, relax," he wrote.

Kyrgios was handed a suspended ban and fine of $25,000 on Thursday for "aggravated behaviour" following an investigation by the ATP into his explosive meltdown at last month's Cincinnati Masters. 

"The investigation found a pattern of behaviour related to Kyrgios's verbal abuse of officials and/or spectators in the past 12 months that constitutes a violation," the ATP said in a statement.

The suspension and fine will kick in if Kyrgios commits a similar offence within a six-month period.

During the time frame, he must agree to get continued support from a mental skills coach during tournaments plus seek extra help from a specialist in behavioural management before the end of the year.

Kyrgios has five working days to appeal.

More from Sports

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • The Music Mix

    9:00pm - 11:00pm

    Enjoy your favourite music back to back commercial free, tune in to the Music Mix everyday from 1 until 2 for the music you love and the news updates you need

  • The Music Mix

    11:00pm - 10:00am

    Enjoy your favourite music back to back commercial free, tune in to the Music Mix everyday from 1 until 2 for the music you love and the news updates you need

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Is There Sufficient House Supply In UAE

    Dubai’s current population is more than double compared to almost twenty years ago, which now stands at 3.7 million. Lots of families are also moving to the UAE now. So what does it mean for the property market?

  • Noon's First Female Delivery Driver

    Glory Ehirim Nkiruka is Noon’s first ever female delivery driver. In her first ever interview, she explained why she loves her job, despite the heat!