Kyrgios assault charge dismissed despite guilty plea

A common assault charge against Nick Kyrgios was dismissed in a Canberra court on Friday, despite the tennis player earlier pleading guilty.

The charge related to a 2021 incident involving his former girlfriend Chiara Passari.

Magistrate Beth Campbell had dismissed the case due to the minor nature of the incident and that Kyrgios was at a low-risk of re-offending, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

"Just recovery, get back on court," said Kyrgios outside court when asked by a reporter about his immediate plans.

The world number 20, who underwent knee surgery after withdrawing from the Australian Open last month, said on social media he was "grateful" for the decision.

"I respect today's ruling and I'm grateful to the court for dismissing the charges without conviction," he said in an Instagram post.

"I was not in a good place when this happened and I reacted to a difficult situation in a way I deeply regret."

The legal team for the Australian was granted an adjournment at a prior court hearing last October to allow time to prepare forensic mental health reports on their client.

More from Sports

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • The Score

    7:00pm - 9:00pm

    Hosted by Chris McHardy, The Score is your comprehensive guide to the world of sport.

  • The Music Mix

    9:00pm - 11:00pm

    Enjoy your favourite music back to back commercial free, tune in to the Music Mix everyday from 1 until 2 for the music you love and the news updates you need

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Is There Sufficient House Supply In UAE

    Dubai’s current population is more than double compared to almost twenty years ago, which now stands at 3.7 million. Lots of families are also moving to the UAE now. So what does it mean for the property market?

  • Noon's First Female Delivery Driver

    Glory Ehirim Nkiruka is Noon’s first ever female delivery driver. In her first ever interview, she explained why she loves her job, despite the heat!