Indonesia stripped of Under 20 World Cup hosting rights

BAY ISMOYO/ AFP

FIFA on Wednesday stripped Indonesia of the right to stage this year's Under-20 football World Cup, over what an Indonesian official said was a failure to honour its commitments to the tournament.

The decision to stop Indonesia holding the May 20-June 11 event was taken after the country's football federation (PSSI) said it had cancelled the draw because the governor of Bali refused to host Israel's team.

"FIFA has decided, due to the current circumstances, to remove Indonesia as the host of the FIFA U-20 World Cup 2023," a FIFA statement said.

"A new host will be announced as soon as possible, with the dates of the tournament currently remaining unchanged. Potential sanctions against the PSSI may also be decided at a later stage."

World football's ruling body added that the decision had been taken following a meeting between its President Gianni Infantino and PSSI Chairman Erick Thohir.

"Indonesia is a FIFA member, so for any international soccer matters, we have to abide by the rules," Thohir said in a statement on PSSI's website.

"I ask all football lovers to keep their heads held high over this tough decision by FIFA. It's time we proved to FIFA to work harder to transform soccer, towards clean and high-achieving soccer."

The loss of hosting rights will be a big setback in Indonesia, where football has a massive following, despite the lack of international success since qualifying for the 1938 World Cup as the Dutch East Indies.

When asked why FIFA had decided to remove Indonesia as hosts, Zainudin Amali, deputy PSSI chief and former sports minister told KompasTV; "FIFA decided Indonesia didn't follow through with its earlier commitments while bidding."

Zainudin added that he hopes to avoid sanctions but fears another FIFA ban.

Protesters marched in the capital Jakarta this month waving Indonesian and Palestinian flags and demanding that Israel was not allowed to participate.

The PSSI said this week that losing hosting rights would harm Indonesian football teams' chances of taking part in other FIFA tournaments, while the economic losses would amount to "trillions of rupiah".

As hosts, Indonesia automatically qualified for the Under-20 World Cup, but they have not played in the tournament since 1979.

More from Sports

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • Motor Mania

    10:00am - Noon

  • The Best of Dubai Eye 103.8

    Noon - 4:00pm

    Hear the highlights from the week gone by on Dubai Eye 103.8. Listen again to the best interviews, advice and the top stories that has gripped our conversation this week.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Is There Sufficient House Supply In UAE

    Dubai’s current population is more than double compared to almost twenty years ago, which now stands at 3.7 million. Lots of families are also moving to the UAE now. So what does it mean for the property market?

  • Noon's First Female Delivery Driver

    Glory Ehirim Nkiruka is Noon’s first ever female delivery driver. In her first ever interview, she explained why she loves her job, despite the heat!