Israel says plenty of food in Gaza, UN says that's ridiculous

Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP

The United Nations on Tuesday dismissed as "ridiculous" an assertion by Israel that there was enough food in the Gaza Strip to last for a long period of time, despite the closure of all 25 bakeries supported by the World Food Programme (WFP).

No aid has been delivered to the Palestinian enclave since March 2. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office has said it would not allow the entry of all goods and supplies into Gaza until Hamas releases all remaining hostages.

Then later in March Israel resumed its bombardment of Gaza after a two-month truce and sent troops back into the region. 

COGAT, the Israeli military agency that coordinates aid deliveries, said on Tuesday that during the truce some 25,200 trucks entered Gaza, carrying almost 450,000 tonnes of aid. "That's nearly a third of the total trucks that entered Gaza during the entire war, in just over a month," COGAT said in a post on X. "There is enough food for a long period of time, if Hamas lets the civilians have it."

When asked about the statement, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric told reporters: "As far as the UN is concerned, that's ridiculous... we are at the tail end of our supplies.

"You know, WFP doesn't close its bakeries for fun. If there's no flour, if there's no cooking gas, the bakeries cannot open."

AID DIVERTED?

Before the two month ceasefire, global food security experts warned in November that there was a "strong likelihood that famine is imminent in areas" of northern Gaza.

Throughout the war, the UN has described its humanitarian operation in Gaza as opportunistic - facing problems with Israel's military operation, access restrictions by Israel into and throughout Gaza and looting by armed gangs.

"The UN aid was less than 30 per cent of the total amount of aid that entered. Meaning, when the UN say they have two weeks worth of aid left in Gaza, there are plenty of other aid organisations and other actors with food aid," COGAT said.

COGAT said it continues to monitor and assess the humanitarian situation in Gaza in coordination with the international community. It also said much of the aid delivered to Gaza during the ceasefire had been diverted.

"The UN has kept a chain of custody and a very good chain of custody on all the aid it's delivered," Dujarric said.

Hamas said Gaza has reached a "famine phase," describing it as "one of the worst humanitarian crisis in modern history". It said it held Israel full responsibility for the "catastrophic human consequences increasing by the hour".

The war in Gaza was triggered on October 7, 2023, when Hamas killed 1,200 people in southern Israel, and took some 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies. Since then, more than 50,000 Palestinians have been killed, according to Palestinian health authorities.

More from International

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • The Agenda

    10:00am - 1:00pm

    Broadcasting every weekday, Georgia Tolley goes beyond the headlines to speak to government ministers, decision makers, analysts and local experts to find out how the news will impact those of us living in the UAE.

  • Afternoons with Helen Farmer

    1:00pm - 4:00pm

    Every weekday afternoon, Helen Farmer will help you to navigate the highs and lows of life in the UAE. Stay up to date with what’s happening and where to go.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Is There Sufficient House Supply In UAE

    Dubai’s current population is more than double compared to almost twenty years ago, which now stands at 3.7 million. Lots of families are also moving to the UAE now. So what does it mean for the property market?

  • Noon's First Female Delivery Driver

    Glory Ehirim Nkiruka is Noon’s first ever female delivery driver. In her first ever interview, she explained why she loves her job, despite the heat!